Monday, October 16, 2006

Monday - storytime
<<------------------------------------------------->>

One Night in December
by Terrance O'Reilly
Year Three



I was in my classroom at school. It was my prep time: last hour of the day again this year. I wasn't sure whether I appreciated this or not. It was nice to be done teaching a bit early in the day. But with no absolute requirements being made on me, I'm afraid that I wasted more time than I would if prep had been earlier in the day. I was trying hard to concentrate.

"Mr. Bennett?" the intercom speaker squawked.

"Yes?"

"There's been a delivery for you here in the office," the appliance replied.

I thought I heard giggling. "Okay, I'll be right down."

I walked down the hall to the glass enclosed office. Both secretaries were standing behind the counter smiling at me through the branches of an enormous bouquet of red roses.

`Holy Mother of Pearl,' I thought, `what's he done now?'

"Oh, Mr. Bennett," twittered Martha. "I think you got a secret admirer." I cringed inwardly at her lack of grammatical correctness. Sarah, the other secretary laughed lightly. "The card isn't signed."

`How the hell did she know the card wasn't signed?' I took the card out of its holder. It wasn't in an envelope. So much for privacy.

"Come on, tell us who they're from," Sarah begged.

Had she been hibernating in a cave for the last two years? Everyone at school knew that Andy and I were partners.

The card read, "Happy Valentine's Day, Red. Twit twit 00000. L. B."

Click hear to read the rest!

No comments: