Sunday, April 23, 2006

Nicked, cut, and amused

Well, I feel as though I've been in a serious accident and need to relearn how to do something.

I have taken up the art of wet shaving. Basically shaving like our grandparents shaved.
Not the straight razor god forgive, but the safety razor. Basically one of these babies.

I've been reading the shaveblog, and It's appealed to me. I've never been completly satisfied with the regular shaving equipment. I used to use an electric razor, it sucked. Then I tried various disposables, finally settling on the mach3. This ripped my face apart and provided a meh shave for the last few years. So, when I started reading the blog and about shave geeks, well it aroused my curiosity.

I routed out my grandfathers razor. Which was a nice satisfying weight and kinda cool to look at. Got some blades at the store. They come all individually wrapped in paper in the little box. It appealed to my asthetics. The brush was also something that took some digging to find.

The shaving was a little rough. It is a totally different experience. Shaving is slower, and more precise. It felt like being a kid again and learning how to shave.

I used nice hot water, soaked my face under the spray while I washed my hair (I shave in the shower) Then I lathered up some soap in an old shaving cup. Dove unscented, of course. Lathered it all over my face. You know, even if I don't stick with the whole safety razor thing I think I might stick with the brush and soap method. I was extremely satisfied with the lather. It wasn't totally unmanageable like the canned stuff.

So, I was shaving with the old razor. I nicked myself a few times, not as much as I thought. 3 all in total. I of course missed a few spots, the angle is totally different, so different technique.

The cleanup was pretty easy, stung like a bitch, which was kind of a shock. Its been awhile since it stung. But I( have to say the parts where I didn't cut myself, or miss totally were the best shave I have ever had. When I finished drying off I slathered myself with udderly smooth. Oh, have I told you guys about that stuff yet? Apparently its for cows udders. But it is like a kick ass moisturizer. http://www.uddercream.com/ (my god is that site annoying.)


Now, depending on how this goes, I might be going for the new (old) way of shaving!

Shaveblog
Udderly Smooth

6 comments:

VORFAS said...

VERY COOL BLOG

AJ said...

Thanks. :-)

EzyJG said...

Cool.. will have to try the old razor. I've just started using the brush and palmolive soap method and it's a lot better and shaving in the shower is the best!

AJ said...

oh yeah? I have to find a better soap, the dove isnt working. I think I'm gonna try some sort of frankenstein hybrid.

EzyJG said...

I think the best ones i have read about for shaving soaps is either Palmolive or King fo Shaves. I personally haven't used KoS but i think it was in either Mens Health or FHM that they did a comparison a while back.

AJ said...

The linkn is checked. Hmm lots of interesting gear.. I think my ocd side is going to come out to play mwa ha ha!